Subject: Re: Help - trouble installing SCSI drive with adaptec-2940UW
To: None <aleric-netbsd@raptor.net>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/20/2002 15:23:31
> I am trying to install an ultra-wide scsi drive using an adaptec 2940=
UW
> (No, i'm not going to boot from it.)
>
> When I connect the drive, the system disk, which was at sd0 is sudden=
ly at
> sd1 and the drive on the adaptec card is sd0.  How do I resolve this
> problem?  I worry about relabeling the system disk as sd1 if I need t=
> remove the new disk.  Is the system disk on the wrong internal scsibu=
> (It's showing up as scsibus2)?

This can be resolved by hardwiring the mappings between sd unit number
and controller/target for the root disk.  This can be done like this:

sd0 at scsibus2 target 0 lun 0	    # wire down root fs disk

(you may need to tweak the target number) in addition to the customary

sd* at scsibus? target ? lun ?	    # SCSI diskss

By default, it scans the busses and targets in order, and numbers the
drives sequentially.

Regards,

- H=E5vard