Subject: Re: Is the kernel designed to return?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@gatwood.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2002 22:42:03
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> No, no. I have a 7500, I know what it is. There's a PCI model in
> addition to the 7200 with a soldered-on 601. It was either
> education-only or non-US-only... the 8200, maybe?
> (http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple.com/applespec/applespec.taf?RID=197)

Yeah.  non-US-only.  I'd forgotten it even existed.

> grappa:~% ls -l netbsd/601UM.pdf
> -rw-r--r--  1 gr  users  3253063 Jan 14 19:05 netbsd/601UM.pdf
>
> I'm not sure it's necessarily the technical reference you had in
> mind, but it is 777 pages short. ;^>

Sounds about it.

> > Well, there's a pretty heavy cost in maintaining support for a bunch of
> > old systems, even just in terms of all the testing and verification needed
> > to make sure that they work.  Not to mention that it would be a
> > second^h^h^h^h^h^hthird booting mechanism to support....
>
> True enough. But if NetBSD can do it...

NetBSD runs on a lot of machines.  It doesn't technically "support" any
machines at all, beyond help on mailing lists.  Mac OS X also runs on a
lot of machines, but it "supports" most G3 and G4 machines.  A lot of
people run OS X on older machines.  When things don't work, though, you're
pretty much on your own, beyond help on mailing lists.  :-)

Later,
David

                    Check out my weekly web comic:
                     http://www.techmagazine.org