Subject: Re: Is the kernel designed to return?
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@gatwood.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2002 20:39:10
--50RDeE14MEV4qpyy

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 04:56:39PM -0800, David A. Gatwood wrote:
> > Sure, but #7 buys us 7200 (and 7400? Is that the right model
> > number?) support and gives support for PDMs another leg to stand on.
> 7500.  And yes, it definitely makes sense to work on it for that reason.
> It just isn't a "show-stopper".  :-)

No, no. I have a 7500, I know what it is. There's a PCI model in
addition to the 7200 with a soldered-on 601. It was either
education-only or non-US-only... the 8200, maybe?
(http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple.com/applespec/applespec.taf?RID=3D197)

I wasn't even considering the 7500 since any I've encountered
recently have already had an upgrade card in them, but yeah, it too.

> Maybe.  I'm getting a 10 byte file, but that may be an IE issue.

I think it is:

grappa:~% ls -l netbsd/601UM.pdf
-rw-r--r--  1 gr  users  3253063 Jan 14 19:05 netbsd/601UM.pdf

I'm not sure it's necessarily the technical reference you had in
mind, but it is 777 pages short. ;^>

> Well, there's a pretty heavy cost in maintaining support for a bunch of
> old systems, even just in terms of all the testing and verification needed
> to make sure that they work.  Not to mention that it would be a
> second^h^h^h^h^h^hthird booting mechanism to support....

True enough. But if NetBSD can do it...

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net