Subject: Re: Is the kernel designed to return?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2002 14:50:59
--lCKkSrrNUaKEhaIQ

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:35:15AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> True. But part of my point is that to the users, they (NuBus and PCI
> PowerMacs) are the same class of machines, while I think most users
> would consider hp300 and sun3 to be different machines. They run the same
> MacOS, so where's the difference (speaking from a user's point of view).

Now, I actually agree with what you're saying, Bill (I said it
myself, really), but just to play Devil's advocate we don't seem
to have people complaining about NetBSD's not supporting sun3, sparc,
and sparc64 machines with the same port.

Different processors are more user-evident than different buses? You
sure? :^>

I don't think anybody would argue that the easiest way to get
support for nubus macs into the tree is in a separate port. Whether
or not that eventually merges with macppc is something that can be
dealt with later.

> Also, if we want to use the Apple booters (which would be nice), we have
> to be able to quiesce (sp?) OF (or run with it quiesced). To be able to
> run w/o OF callbacks is most of the same problem as running on NuBus
> boxes. So if we solve it for one, we solve it for the other. :-)

Erm. Sort of. Except that OF macs know nothing of nubus. ;^>

(Fortunately, we've already got some nubus. How much of that depends
on the mac68k's Mac OS-sourced booter?)

> I do realize we also have to support the 601,

Speaking of that, I now have (thanks to Donald Lee, whom I owe $22
for shipping... I'll mail it tomorrow now that I've been reminded,
Donald) a 7200 motherboard to stuff in one of my spare 7x00 cases.

I'd like to at least try at 601 support. Anyone already there? Any
book recomendations?

> Actually they dropped the OF 1.0.5 PCI machines too. They only support
> machines Apple shipped with a G3 or G4.

I've always wondered whether that had more to do with the processor
or with OF...

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net