Subject: Re: Is the kernel designed to return?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2002 14:24:48
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:

: > > Non-OFW PowerMacs don't really belong in NetBSD/macppc as it stands.  Such
: > > machines implicitly need a way of locating attached devices which is
: > > fundamentally different from the enumeration system provided by OFW.
: > >
: > > Hence, such machines need at least a different locore.s (and machdep.c,
: > > etc.), if not their own port (probably preferable).

: We will also look very silly. mklinux and I believe linuxppc support
: nubus-based machines with the same kernel that supports pci machines.

I didn't say it was impossible -- you could certainly have both sun3 and
hp300 machines share a GENERIC (and even a boot loader), if you worked hard
enough to merge all the necessary bits together.

My point was that the low-level interface to non-OFW PowerMacs is so
different from that of OFW machines that keeping them in the same port won't
be a particularly easy task.  Thus, we may be better off (and more within
NetBSD's design goals) to have them separate.

Heck, MacOS X dropped support for the NuBus machines, too.  Wonder if Apple
knows something odd about these machines that we don't.  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/