Subject: Experimentation with a G3 PDQ laptop and NETBSD 1.5.2
To: None <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: David Henderson <davidh@ipac.caltech.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/12/2002 09:36:58
--============_-1201294212==_============

Hi Henry,

I saw your note about not getting the devalias  to the CDROM drive and I
thought I'd share my experiences with attempting to install netbsd 1.5.2 on
a similar machine.

My Apple G3 Wallstreet (PDQ) has a floppy drive and a DVDROM drive that go
in the left and right bays, a 6 gig hard drive, an Apple ADB, and a scsi
port. I intend to share the hard drive between NETBSD and MacOS 8.6

I discovered the devalias for the floppy drive is fd2. I was able to eject
a floppy, but never to boot off it. I used suntar to copy the BOOT.FS
blocks.

I used the SCSI bus to cable in some older scsi drives I own: a Sony 4x2
CD-R writer and a LaCIE 160 megabyte hard drive. I wrote the boot.fs blocks
to the hard drive and put the NETBSD install CD-ROM into the Sony drive. I
am not able to do an open firmware dir command on the CDROM, nor am I able
to use open firmware to start up OFWBOOT.XCF. The CDROM I created is not
the "official hybrid" off the site, but is one I crafted using Toast on
MacOS.

I am now able to boot the scsi hard drive with the partion 0 bootloader,
and use it to get the NETBSD.RAM running off the ISO 9660 disk (on the
external Sony scsi CD-R drive) .

I used a modified version of pdisk (see attachment) to create proper NETBSD
partitions, and followed the procedure in section   6. on page 45 of the
installation guide. I was able to format and mount root, usr and swap
partitions OK.

Where I'm now stuck is that I can't seem to get to the scsi Sony drive from
within the installer.

So I have the following questions:

1. I really need a boot floppy that works to startup NETBSD even if I
complete installation. My plan is to boot off floppy, then tell the boot.fs
bootloader to load the NETBSD kernel on the hard drive stored in a
partition in the shard hard drive. Is this a reasonable procedure? How can
I make this happen?

2. What is the proper path to the boot CDROM for the installer? (Both the
Sony scsi drive or the internal DVDROM drive)

3. Is there anyone that knows the open firmware devalias for the internal
CDROM drive for this species of powerbook? (Or failing that, how do I use
the complete device firmware path name to boot?)

4. I have one other installation possibility: installing off ethernet. Once
I do this, how do I boot NETBSD off the shared disk without the ethernet
umbilical?

5. Do I need to give up the idea of a shard hard disk between MacOS and NETBSD?

Any answers, suggestions, Henry (or anyone??)

Thanks in advance,

David

AAUWBwACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAAADAAAAPgAAAB4AAAAJAAAAXAAAACAA
AAAIAAAAfAAAABBwb3J0LW1hY3BwYyBEaXNrIFBhcnRpdGlvbmluZyBURVhUTU9TUwEA
AAcBKwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOafJwDmnycS20MAAPSwHs=