Subject: Re: Serial interfaces
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/09/2002 18:56:00
(meant to send this to the list...)
>> Anyway, I'm pretty sure this at least *should* be a SMOP, and
>> remembering how handy it would be for me to string all the
>> NetBSD/macppc boxes in a cluster used for research at
>> cs.swarthmore.edu together with serial cables moved reviewing what
>> problems I've had with zstty and zsc on macppc and seeing if can fix
>> them up on my list for the next couple weeks of down time. I'll pipe
>> up with anything useful I find.
>
>That would be cool!
>
>Conversely, I have this 8-port rocket card (vendor escapes me, unless it is
>in fact 'rocket') that I think is supported and I could do that kind of
>workaround if it's the hardware.  I've never tried it in a NetBSD box and
>didn't even realize I had it until recently.  If that would "just work" I
>would be happy with that.  (the bigger and newer cisco's will do 115.2k on
>the console FWIW)

Two things:

1. I have struggled with the serial on macppc, and I have seen it work as
	console and *only* if unmolested.  It appears that any changes to
	the port (speed, etc.  i.e. pppd) will cause it to fall over.

2. I have had success with a Cyclades Y card. (8 port).  I had to make a change
	to the driver.  Stock driver does not work.  (pre-1.5 does not
	boot with the card present, as I recall)

-dgl-