Subject: Re: New INSTALL notes for 1.5.3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/08/2002 12:10:27
Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com> wrote:

> Take a look and give me feedback before I commit it.
>
> http://www.blobulent.com/~mw/INSTALL.html

Sorry, I'm a little slow. :-)  (Was on vacation.)

The last time I installed NetBSD/macppc (I've also used mac68k, i386,
and sparc), I printed out INSTALL, whipped out a highlighter, and marked
the bits I needed to care about based on my computer's version of OF.
INSTALL itself alludes to this: "While you're reading, use the writing
implement to cross out the sections that do not apply to your model (or
hilight the sections that do depending on your preferences)."

The macppc install was relatively challenging, no doubt due to the
myriad variants of OF and all their shortcomings. I think it might be
less challenging if the OF version-specific install information were
split into separate documents, such as INSTALL-OF20 (etc.). The primary
INSTALL document could then simply refer the reader to the appropriate
OF-specific file for the details. While this might make macppc's install
docs unusual in relation to those of other architectures, macppc is
already unusual because of its install procedures.

Can we do this? If so, I'll help.

- Amitai