Subject: Beige G3 audio?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/05/2002 10:33:56
What is the status of the 'awacs' sound driver? Is it supposedly working
now? I've got a beige G3, and internal sound (on the 'whisper' personality
card, no video) is playing a bit dumb. The card is working on other OSses
(I can hear the startup chime), and it's recognized by the kernel:

awacs0 at obio0 offset 0x14000: irq 17,8,9
audio1 at awacs0: full duplex

(audio0 is the soundblaster PCI128 I've slipped in, in order to get any
music ;)

When I try to cat /dev/audio1, I get an 'awacs_trigger_input called' message
in the kernel log, but a 'cat: /dev/audio1: Operation not permitted' on
the issuing terminal.

If I try to do sound I/O to /dev/audio1, everything seems to be working
just fine (The device is sinking data at the right speed), but I don't
hear anything at all - not on the internal speaker, not on the sound output
jack.

I've tried toying with the mixer, but that doesn't really help. It only
supports three changable settings:

monitor.output=speaker  { speaker headphones }
outputs.speaker=80 volume
outputs.headphones=240,240 volume

When I try to change monitor.output, I get nice "output_select mask 0x2"
and ... 0x1 messages in /var/log/messages, but that's about it. Any hints
would be welcome. I tried booting the -current snapshot from about a
week ago, but that didn't quite work - I'm getting loads of complaints
from /dev/wdc0 - including the dreaded "missing interrupt". At some point,
it just dies.

kind regards,

Martijn (Who hopes that this arrives at the list - I'm having problems
subscribing :()
--
    Martijn van Buul -  Pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333