Subject: Re: tlp0 vs de0 again
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/04/2002 13:16:31
On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

: Ugh. I doubt it's news, but something's evil in the tlp driver. I
: asked this yesterday someone and no one replyed (Jason?): which of
: de and tlp is currently preferred? Is one on its way to deprecation?

My *subjective* opinion is that de is preferred on any chip for which it
works correctly.  tlp has some serious issues with tulip clones and even
some real 21040s.  However, tlp does support some chips that de won't even
touch.

So, both GENERIC and INSTALL should have both tlp *and* de, but with the
TLP_MATCH_* options commented out.  This provides the additional chip
support of tlp, but prefers de for chips it supports.

The informal plan is to phase out de entirely, but there hasn't been much
work on fixing it up to make sure it works with various tulip-clones that de
will happily use.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/