Subject: Re: getting debugging messages from ums.c? more than three buttons in X?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/03/2002 10:30:57
--m972NQjnE83KvVa/

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 12:50:40PM +0100, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> Derek Peschel wrote:
> > Does X support Z events (scroll wheels)?
> Yes, in a way.  You typically map the Z axis movement to (virtual)
> button clicks and then handle these buttons via the resources.

Fwiw, if one *really* wanted to play with a Z axis, one might want
to have a look at porting an alternative to X called Berlin. Last
time I checked, it was pretty far from done, but if I ever deign to
own a mouse with a wheel, I would want it to control moving into and
out of the screen, which would need a framework more like Berlin's.
(That is, have the workspace be a cube rather than a rectangle. A
riff on [t]vtwm, fvwm, and others' scrolling of a desktop.)

See http://www.berlin-consortium.org/ (that's from memory, but I'm
pretty sure it's right) if this interests you. It does, as I recall,
want some moderately serious 3D graphics hardware.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--m972NQjnE83KvVa/