Subject: Re: getting debugging messages from ums.c? more than three buttons in X?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Derek Peschel <dpeschel@eskimo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/03/2002 03:58:13
On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 12:50:40PM +0100, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> Derek Peschel wrote:
>
> > What's the correct way to define the USB_DEBUG option?  Does "options
> > USB_DEBUG" in the config file work?  I am currently editing the Makefile by
> > hand (since "CPPFLAGS="-DUSB_DEBUG" in the conf file doesn't work.)
>
> options USB_DEBUG
>
> I'm not sure why you want to do this.  You don't have to turn on debugging for
> normal use of the mouse.

I wanted to see if NetBSD was recognizing all five buttons.

> > How can I get ums.c to print debugging messages?  I've turned on USB_DEBUG
> > and set the debug level and edited /etc/syslog.conf but nothing appears.
> > They come from ukbd.c but not ums.c.
>
> Set the umsdebug variable to non-zero.  You can edit the source, or use gdb on
> the kernel binary, or ddb when it's running.

I did that (that's what I meant by "set the debug level") and I don't get
any printouts, either at a console window or in X.

> > Does X support more than 3 buttons these days?
>
> Yes.

der Mouse told me it supports up to five, which is perfect for me.

> > Does X support
> > Z events (scroll wheels)?
>
> Yes, in a way.  You typically map the Z axis movement to (virtual) button clicks
> and then handle these buttons via the resources.

I'll have to experiment.  The 1.5 hardware-dependent code seems to suppress
Z movements (it doesn't report them as events) so I don't see how I could
map them.

Thanks,

-- Derek

P.S.  Please don't Cc: me.  It only creates twice as much mail.