Subject: Re: tlp0 vs de0 again
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/02/2002 21:02:47
--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 03:18:31PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> It's not recommended, at least not yet, to use tlp for many of those chip=
s.
> Many off-brand tulip cards (read: "anything you buy at a local retail shop
> for <$20 that isn't a rtk") has horrendous problems with our current
> implementation of "tlp".

That's great, but the install floppy thinks that the standard
hardware in every x500-era (so, 7300s etcetera as well) is tlp and
the GENERIC kernel thinks it's de, which means that the /etc/ifconfig.if0
file created by the install floppy will *always* break on new
installs.

The thing you're missing here, Todd, is that tlp works just fine
with the built-in hardware in every PowerMac that has a Tulip chip,
and that is *far* more common in the Macintosh world than
bargain-basement PCI cards. Nobody using macppc lacks a built-in
ethernet chip... some (I wouldn't even go so far as to say "many")
use a PCI card, but anyone doing that is probably sufficiently
clued to figure this problem out.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net