Subject: partition path
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <ruben2@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/29/2001 13:00:53
Hello,

I'm trying to implement NetBDSD on my G4 tower 450. I've made 4
partitions on my disk, using the disk utility under OS10.1.  The first 3
HFS+ partitions are dedicated to OSX and OS9 . The last one is UFS and
I've put ofwboot.xcf and netbsd.GENERIC.gz on it as well as a folder
containing the NetBDSD sets.

I have boot under Open Firmware but could not identify the addresses of
my different partitions.  I thought I would be able to move through the
tree using 'dev aliasname' and then get a list of the contents of my
disks using 'dir'. But 'dir' only accepts to list the contents of my OS9
partition (which is not called 'hd')  using 'dir hd:,\'.  As if there
was nothing else on my disk. Any other 'dir' request is refused. I don't
understand well the arguments passed to dir in this context, nor the
device path spelling and so on.

Unable to obtain the location of my BSD partition I did not even try to
boot for a NetBSD installation.

I thank you very much in advance if you can bring me some help on this.

Ruben

PS: I seize upon the occasion to ask the following (secondary) questions:

- with Open Firmware some commands (like 'dev') give a text longer than
the screen: is there an option letter I can add to have the list split
the right way ?

- when I'll have installed NetBSD: shall I have to boot always through
Open Firmware in order to choose the environment ?