Subject: Re: Subtle error in the macppc FAQ, Woz Machine antics.
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/28/2001 21:55:09
At 11:52 Uhr -0500 28.12.2001, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>* They didn't work. I'm not positive, but I *think* this is because,
>unless told differently and especially under Mac OS, the swim3
>writes things to floppies using the old Woz Machine technique
>(placing blocks differently than standard PC hardware does). Which
>means that, though Disk Copy has placed the boot floppy image on the
>disk as far as it knows, it's not in a way that a PC Bios
>understands. (dd on other archs works for macppc floppies because
>they're an image of something we know will boot an OF mac, and dd
>on a macppc machine will successfully create an i386 floppy for
>the same reason. But it would seem that Disk Copy needs to be
>smacked around in order to write things in a non-Woz-Machine way.)
>This is all speculation.

Yes, it is.  =8)

The Woz heritage is strictly concerned with GCR and does not come into play
when you tell the SWIM {I,II,III} to write MFM.

The MSDOS floppy format should be sufficiently well specified -- but, there
_are_ subtle differences. I recall that floppies written by WD179x/279x
controllers could sometimes not be read by peecee NEC 765 controllers
because the first sector of the track started too soon after the index
pulse. I don't know offhand if Macintosh drives do anything with the index
pulse.

	hauke

--
/~\ The ASCII	                   "Those who are willing to sacrifice
\ / Ribbon Campaign                 essential liberties for a little order