Subject: Subtle error in the macppc FAQ, Woz Machine antics.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/28/2001 11:52:12
--u5E4XgoOPWr4PD9E

The description of how to make a bootable floppy with Disk Copy
currently contains the following:

    you will need to change the type and creator of the disk
    image to ddsk and dimg before Disk Copy will open the file.=20

Having tried yesterday to make a set of i386 floppies* using Disk
Copy, I can assure you that this is backwards. That is, the type
needs to be dimg and the creator ddsk.

If someone with developer access would fix this, it'd be nice. (As
mw's pointed out several times, he's not the only one with acess to
the FAQ, and he'd be glad for simple stuff like this just to get
fixed.)

* They didn't work. I'm not positive, but I *think* this is because,
unless told differently and especially under Mac OS, the swim3
writes things to floppies using the old Woz Machine technique
(placing blocks differently than standard PC hardware does). Which
means that, though Disk Copy has placed the boot floppy image on the
disk as far as it knows, it's not in a way that a PC Bios
understands. (dd on other archs works for macppc floppies because
they're an image of something we know will boot an OF mac, and dd
on a macppc machine will successfully create an i386 floppy for
the same reason. But it would seem that Disk Copy needs to be
smacked around in order to write things in a non-Woz-Machine way.)
This is all speculation.

(It's no huge deal. I can get the IBM Thinkpad involved installed by
way of dosboot, but I was hoping having nothing but macs-running-MacOS
around my folks' house wasn't going to be this much of a problem.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--u5E4XgoOPWr4PD9E