Subject: Re: Important: changes to INSTALL/FAQ regarding load-base
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/26/2001 16:41:30
--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:56:47PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> OF 3 is actually pretty cool; I wish Apple had OF version updates for the
> old machines. :-)

Well, these things are on PROMs, not [E]EPROMS, so updating would
mean solder. That said, I'm not so sure one couldn't desolder an OF
3 PROM and put it on an OF 1.0.5-based motherboard. Would this
actually confuse OF 3? Isn't all the basic stuff about the same?
(PCI device chain, processor identification, so forth.)

Not that I'll be buying a G4 just to put the PROM in my 7500, of
course...

I think it's mighty unfortunate that, as good as OF 3 is, it's still
not up to (Sun) OpenBoot snuff. I mean, Apple basically ripped
OpenBoot off for OpenFirmware... you'd think they'd at least have
kept its basic functionality around as a minimum. Oh well.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb