Subject: Re: kernfs
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/26/2001 09:41:34
> [...fix which uses all long branches in LKMs...]  Don't like it?  Fix
> it your way yourself. :^>

:-)  (No, I don't really like that way of addressing it, but I also
recognize the fairness of the person doing the work getting to decide.
I think I actually dislike it on two grounds, (1) the waste of using
long jumps everywhere and (2) having to use a PPC-specific compiler
option to build the LKM.)

> (Seriously, what der Mouse suggests is more Right, but figuring out
> how to make ld check for the condition makes my head hurt, and I'd
> mostly like something that at least works before getting too
> ambitious.)

Hm, detecting it would, I'd think, be the easy part: it'd be exactly
when the offset computed for the relocation overflows the field
available for it - something I'd expect ld to check already.  What *I*
would expect the hard part to be is consing up the stubs and arranging
for them to show up where they need to.  (Perhaps a fake input file
could be generated...but I'd expect to have some difficulty adding new
input files to the link after relocation processing starts; it may be
necessary to collect a list of all the stubs needed, fake up a file
containing them, and restart the link right from the top.  But this is
all speculating in a vacuum as far as I'm concerned right now.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign