Subject: Re: couple more questions
To: None <kevdig@rcn.com>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/24/2001 00:08:58
On Sunday 23 December 2001 11:06 am, Kevin Diggs opined:
>     What does you Syquest do? I have an old Iomega 90M bernoulli (also
> trusty and FAR more reliable than zips and jaz) that also does not work
> under MacOS but seems to work fine under NetBSD.

well, here's what it does. It's not the drive but the kernel, I see now: what
happens is that if the drive is spun at boot time, it becomes device sd0, so
my root partition is mounted as sd1 and the usual sd1 (/opt) becomes sd2. If
I boot with it physically disconnected (!!), not just unmounted, I get the
usual suspects at sd0 and sd1 and I can then connect and mount the Syquest as
sd2.

Disklabel seems to fail and newfs whines a bit but all seems well: I have a
mountable volume, though I have to do any partitioning/labelling in MacOS.

And you can get support for Syquest media in MacOS from Syquest: they had
drivers there that work just fine.
--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE

Even a blind pig stumbles upon a few acorns.