Subject: X configuration and booting into MacOS problems
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Egeness <brianfe@ameritech.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/20/2001 05:22:46
PowerMac 8500/XLR8 Dual 450MHz Upgrade
OF 1.0.5
ATI Radeon
NetBSD MacPPC 1.5.2

Hello,
    First let me say that I'm real excited about joining the NetBSD
community. You guys have a great thing going!!! This is my first time here,
my first time using a Unix(-like) OS, and I really need your help! I'm a 2
week old newb and don't know the terminology specific to some of my issues.
I've read and read and reread all the info I could and the install went
smooth with the help of all the contributing users answers to other users
questions on the lists. The FAQ, install docs, and NetBSD offline manuals
seem at times vague, disjointed, and aimed at the intermediate user when it
comes to 3rd party devices and configurations (understandably so) so here I
am. :) I've got a full install of 1.5.2 running w/ X11. Everything executes
fine except X. My Radeon card is supported (words: open, set-mode....the
works!). When I boot, dmesg shows the card having a setting of 832x624 8bpp
even if I switch the settings in the MacOS control panel to an alternative
setting. So I assume it needs to be configured within a .conf file somewher=
besides wscons because... when I set the wscons.conf to an alternative
setting, write it to the file, quit, and reboot...dmesg still returns
832x624 8bpp. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Question 1-4: Is this just the kernel reporting the cards' default settings=
?
              If not, could anyone tell me step by step how to address this=
?
              Will I be able to set the card beyond the puny 8bpp with the
              OF 1.0.5 System Disk Utility patch? I think I read somewhere
              that 8bpp is the max with the SDU patch but is that not just
              for the output-device /chaos/control or does that also apply
              to output-device /bandit@F4000000/ATY,RADEONp@E which is my
              specific graphics device?
              With regard to graphics, keep in mind that I have only
              configured the wscons.conf and output-device file. If I am
              forgetting or missing something here, please don't hesitate t=
              speak up! :)

Question 5-8: When I issue the startx command X starts up but the X window
              looks like the pixels are advanced by 400 pixels at
              every line making the screen look like a 10=BA diagonal mess. I
              see my mouse split up into about 40 pieces making it
              indistinguishable with all 40 pieces moving in unison when I
              move my mouse. Also the shell turns black (1/4 of the screen)
              at the bottom but no error message. Just my startx command,
              etc. Any clues? Do I have to define something in wsconscfg?
              Horizontal, vertical, refresh rate? Do I have to configure my
              card settings beyond wscons.conf? I need a step by step here
              as well to avoid any confusion.

Question 9-10: I can't boot into MacOS from OF. I type the bye
               command and it hangs with the ? mac icon. I have to use the
               virtual firmware system boot disk from XLR8 to get back to
               MacOS. Anyone have any ideas? Is it a load-base/real-base
               issue? Can I reboot to MacOS from the NetBSD shell?

Any help from you guys would certainly make my day!!! I've got a bajillion
more questions regarding PPPoE, Audio, and Networking as well but I think
this is enough for my first post! :) Damn this is fun!!!! It's like learnin=
to walk all over again! My brain hurts!

TIA (thanks in advance),

brian

=20