Subject: Re: DEFAULT CATCH! on 7300
To: Chaz <chaz@chazlink.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/19/2001 23:00:25
On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 07:49:43PM -0700, Chaz wrote:
> PowerMacintosh 7300/180, 80MB RAM
> Open Firmware 1.05

I have an 8500/120 w/ 96MB of RAM and a G3 upgrade card...  Once I've
gotten a "DEFAULT CATCH" or "CLAIM failed" error, the only option I've
found is to reboot.  I.e., even if you enter the correct boot command,
the machine/firmware is in a bad/corrupt state and the boot will fail.

The DEFAULT CATCH is usually caused by executing bogus code, basically.
It's the same kind of thing that would get you a "(core dumped)" in a
regular program.

Have you checked the settings for load-base and real-base against the
recommeded values in the FAQ?  If those are set right, another possible
culprit might be the boot blocks not being installed properly for some
reason.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD dev. for _your_ Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SH3, Sparc, x86, etc...