Subject: DEFAULT CATCH! on 7300
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chaz <chaz@chazlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/19/2001 19:49:43
Hello:

I seem to be having some technical difficulties.  Here's what I have:

PowerMacintosh 7300/180, 80MB RAM
Open Firmware 1.05
It also has a PowerForce G4 450Mhz upgrade card.

I've been able to follow the installation instructions very easily and
everything has just worked.  I've done everything needed to get me to
the part where I boot into NetBSD from my hard drive for the first
time.  I've even patched the Open Firmware like I'm supposed to because
of some video problems.  Installation went without a hiccup.  It took me
some time to guess which hard drive name and device alias combination to
use, but I got that, too.  Now this is happening:

If I type 'boot scsi-int/sd@0:0' then I get a CLAIM failed error.  If I
set 'scsi-int/sd@0:0' as the default boot device and auto-boot, it gives
me a DEFAULT CATCH! error and drops me back into Open Firmware on
restart and continues to give me CLAIM failed errors if I try to
manually boot it.

In the MacPPC FAQ, it says that both of these errors will either occur
randomly or there is a problem with the input/output.  Since I had a
second box handy, I set 'input-device' and 'output-device' to 'ttya' and
hooked it up through the modem port to my second box and used some
terminal emulation software.  However, the problem is still not solved.
I still get the same error messages whenever I try to boot up.  What
could possibly be causing this?

Thanks,
Chaz McGarvey