Subject: The continuing saga of the 9500 and OF
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/18/2001 21:31:12
well, I was content to leave this alone, but since you all are offering your
help, I'll persevere.

Thanks to some recent changes to the FAQ, I have verified that this ATI card
does in fact grok open firmware. It does understand the word 'open' or so it
claims.

0 > dev ATY,mach64@F  ok
0 > words
close           restore         draw-logo       write           open
display-remove  display-install read-rectangle  fill-rectangle  draw-rectangle
color!          get-colors      set-colors
 ok
0 >
so with that in mind, I set my output-device thusly. I could use pci1 instead
of the bandit entry.

output-device       /bandit@F2000000/ATY,mach64@F ttya

odd thing is I can't use dev to get to it with the @F appended. So I'll try
one more time with that left off and see what happens. In every case, I get a
pure white screen, so *something* is happening.

(correction: I preceded the address with a slash: the @F is irrelevent, it
turns out).

Interesting: if I enter this command at the 0> prompt:

0 > " pci1/ATY,mach64" select-dev words .properties unselect-dev

the screen wakes up. Further investigations had me inside the card's firmware
with .properties . . . .  incomprehensible but encouraging somehow.

any idea on some way to put something on the screen to see if we can actually
drive it?

anything here I can use?
0 > words
close           restore         draw-logo       write           open
display-init
display-remove  display-install read-rectangle  fill-rectangle  draw-rectangle
color@
color!          get-colors      set-colors

close shuts it off, I see. Hmm  . . . . and what an appropriate .sig quote
that is, too.
--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE