Subject: Re: NetBSD Package system on MacOS 10.1
To: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@apple.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/18/2001 11:42:58
On Tuesday, December 18, 2001, at 01:40 AM, Chris Pinnock wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 08:42:25PM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 11:32:39PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>> Actually...
>>
>> Just because they're not compiled with the STOCK GCC (i.e. what you can
>> download from the FSF) doesn't mean they're not compiled without GCC.
>>
>> Apple folks have been steadily feeding back e.g. AltiVec stuff into GCC
>> for a while now.
>
> I may have misheard but I recall Jordan Hubbard saying at BSDConeurope
> that Apple uses gcc to build the complete Mac OS X.

Trimming my reply to just port-macppc, since my comments are pretty OT
for netbsd-help.  Note, I speak only for myself, not my employer.  The
usual disclaimers apply.

I'm pretty sure you heard correctly, at least for the kernel and the
BSD/GNU/NeXT/Foo userland.  It wouldn't be practical to build the system
with CW, if for no other reason than the implicit need to keep the
Makefile tree in synch with the CW project so that outside folks could
still build the kernel (and open source tools) using only open source
tools.

As for the closed source parts of the OS, I have absolutely no idea
whatsoever.  I rather suspect that the bulk of those are probably built
with the same toolchain, but I try to stay away of any non-public Apple
intellectual property whenever possible so that I rarely feel the need
to bite my tongue.  ;-)

BTW, yes, there are a lot of Apple Altivec enhancements going into gcc,
mainly post-3.0 versions (FSF TOT).  Most of it wasn't folded into the
FSF upstream repository in the 2.95.x time frame, though the changes
exist in 2.95.x if you pull from Apple's CVS repository.  I don't know
how long it will take for it to all be folded into the FSF repository,
but there's periodic discussion about that on the darwin-development
mailing list.

*hint* Finally, feel free to file a bug report if you find things that
don't work for you in the Darwin bsdmake.  *hint* :-)

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood
Darwin & I/O Kit Writer

All opinions are mine and mine alone; no one else
would want them.
		(seen in an email sig on port-mac68k)