Subject: Re: Unable to netboot G3 (blue and white) NetBSD 1.5.2
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/18/2001 14:06:18
On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > that do not, appears to be the non-booters are Rev B. (Dual IDE drive
> > carrier) versions running Open Firmware 3.1.1. Those that boot are G3 Rev A.
> > (Single IDE drive carrier) running Open Firmware 3.1.0.
>
> Try dhcpd. If you're facing the problems I describe below, you will get
> more descriptive error messages. I think.
>
> I don't know when it happened, but for some later machines (the cube
> definitly) Apple added some netboot extentions which we haven't figured
> out yet. Your non-booters might have those options too.

Funny y'all should mention this.  I was working on the Diskless HOW-TO
(now that I figured you need to explicitly mention ofwboot.xcf
"boot enet:,\ofwboot.xcf" to get older PCI PowerMacs to netboot), and
noticed that my PowerBook (FireWire) no longer netboots now that I've
upgraded it to BootROM 4.1.8.

It only gets ofwboot.xcf if I ask for it by name (previously I didn't have
to), and it just wedges on trying to find the kernel (it keeps asking the
DHCP server for its info).  I'm using the NetBSD 1.5.2 dhcpd.

Has anyone else had the same problem (used to netboot, upgrade BootROM,
doesn't netboot)?  Can someone with dhcp know-how help?

Thanks,
  -- MW