Subject: Re: Unable to netboot G3 (blue and white) NetBSD 1.5.2
To: Matt Shirts <mshirts@redback.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/18/2001 10:45:52
On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Matt Shirts wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I have a couple of G3 (blue and white) macs that are giving me fits! A
> number of these macs (11 in all) boot just fine, the remaining two however
> are quite perplexing. The only difference between those that do and those
> that do not, appears to be the non-booters are Rev B. (Dual IDE drive
> carrier) versions running Open Firmware 3.1.1. Those that boot are G3 Rev A.
> (Single IDE drive carrier) running Open Firmware 3.1.0.

Try dhcpd. If you're facing the problems I describe below, you will get
more descriptive error messages. I think.

I don't know when it happened, but for some later machines (the cube
definitly) Apple added some netboot extentions which we haven't figured
out yet. Your non-booters might have those options too.

The essence is that rather than say "I'm MAC foo," the net booter says,
"I'm a cube," or "I'm an iMac." That way you can configure all of the
iMacs to boot here, and all of the cubes there.

But we haven't figured out what it's asking for yet. :-(

Take care,

Bill