Subject: Re: NetBSD Package system on MacOS 10.1
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/18/2001 15:13:04
On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Hauke Fath wrote:

> >Recently, several developers have spent time getting pkgsrc to work better on
> >Solaris, Darwin and Linux.
>
> Which is most laudable but still a far cry from the development,
> maintenance and documentation efforts that go into the _NetBSD_ aspects of
> the package system.

	The more people use pkgsrc on other operating systems and feed back
	changes, the better it will run.

	I have a little over fifty packages from pkgsrc installed on a
	selection of Redhat 6.1 and 5.0 production boxes (inc postgresql,
	jakarta-tomcat, apache, and many p5-* modules), and can assure
	you that they all work there as well as on my NetBSD boxes - for
	the simple reason that if I have any problems on either, they get
	fixed :)

	There are two distinct entities here - zoularis and pkgsrc. Ideally
	the pkgsrc tools should be portable enough to be compiled without
	zoularis, which would make it much easier to setup any *nix system
	to use pkgsrc. For now www.zoularis.org has precompiled binaries
	for Red Hat 6.2, Debian 2.2 and Red Hat 5.0. If someone has solaris
	binaries I'm sure Chris would put them up :)

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --