Subject: Re: NetBSD Package system on MacOS 10.1
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/17/2001 23:23:07
On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 09:53:06PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 12:31:58PM -0500, Chris Coleman wrote:
> > The openpackages.org project is working on taking pkgsrc to Mac OS X among
> > other things.  The project has been a bit quiet since milestone 2, but
> > there should be a flurry of development over christmas breat.
> >
> > -Chris
>
> And this "work" would entail ... what, exactly? Simple packages can
> already be built on Darwin using pkgsrc, and there is support in
> pkgsrc for Apple's dylibs.
>
> Quite why another effort is needed is beyond me.

One hesitates to say, but various "lift NetBSD pkgsrc and then..." actions
from time to time almost seem as if they're designed to boost the ego of the
people who do them, not to achieve any genuine technical aim.

That's probably *not* so, but sometimes I am just at a loss about the
purpose of all of the duplication of effort.  Lots of PR is generated -- but
is that a good thing, or a bad thing?  To me, it seems like it just serves
to distract from the fact that NetBSD's pkgsrc, in showroom-stock, plain-Jane
totally unmodified form, *already* achieves the stated goals of many of the
available alternatives.  What's to change?  Most of the time, it already
works!

Thor