Subject: Re: NetBSD Package system on MacOS 10.1
To: <>
From: Gregory Smith <wolfy@treellama.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/17/2001 13:18:29
On Monday 17 December 2001 09:50 am, Thor Lancelot Simon opined:
> This doesn't say anything about what compiler was used to build the syste=
m.
> In point of fact, I don't believe that Apple uses gcc to build their
> shipped binaries; at least not most of them. =A0They'd have to be fools t=
o do
> so, since gcc is pretty much the worst powerpc compiler you can get and
> they have access to much better ones.

=09gcc bad for powerpc? Is this why lame encodes slower on my
ibook/300 (512k cache, 66 MHz bus) than on my PII-300 (512k, 66 MHz), even
though the processor on the former should be a bit faster? Maybe it's just
heavily optimized for i386...