Subject: Re: NetBSD Package system on MacOS 10.1
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/17/2001 10:08:54
On Monday 17 December 2001 09:50 am, Thor Lancelot Simon opined:
> This doesn't say anything about what compiler was used to build the system.
> In point of fact, I don't believe that Apple uses gcc to build their
> shipped binaries; at least not most of them.  They'd have to be fools to do
> so, since gcc is pretty much the worst powerpc compiler you can get and
> they have access to much better ones.

well, it appears they do just that. Check out the Darwin/public source area
and you'll find the instructions on how to get their dev tools and source to
build your own kernel.

Bear in mind that Darwin also runs on x86: going with a chip-specific
compiler would be more foolish.

--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE

I believe that professional wrestling is clean and everything else in
the world is fixed.
		-- Frank Deford, sports writer