Subject: Important: changes to INSTALL/FAQ regarding load-base
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/16/2001 11:51:21
I'm going to change the recommended instructions regarding load-base in the
INSTALL notes and the FAQ.

Please let me know if your experience contradicts the new instructions.

Thanks to everyone for trying stuff out.

  -- MW

On Open Firmware 1 or 2 systems, use a load-base of 4000 (i.e. the default
value) which will be set by typing at the OF prompt:

0 > set-default load-base

When Open Firmware loads the bootloader "ofwboot.xcf", it first loads a
temporary copy into the address specified in the load-base variable (4000).
Next it copies it to the address specified in the XCOFF header (i.e.
600000) and begins execution.  It seems that Open Firmware 1 and 2 do not
properly perform the second step (copy from temporary location specified in
load-base to the location specified in the XCOFF header).

This has been leading to frustration among users trying to use Open
Firmware 1 or 2 systems to load ofwboot.xcf from ISO 9660 or MS-DOS
filesystems, or from ethernet.  This problem does not seem to affect
"partition zero" bootloaders found on the boot floppy or properly set up
hard drives (using installboot or sysinst).  Also, this problem does not
affect Open FIrmware 3 systems.