Subject: Re: analysis of Darwin ufs filesystem differences
To: None <dbj@netbsd.org, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/14/2001 11:06:42
At 10:11 PM -0500 12/13/01, dbj@netbsd.org wrote:
>I have analysed the differences between the ufs filesystem of NetBSD
>and that of Darwin.  By appropriately tweaking NetBSD ufs filesystem
>and tools, I am now successfully running a -current NetBSD/macppc
>system on a root partition that was created by and can be read by
>Darwin and Mac OS X.  I am now looking at various possibilities for
>accommodating apple's ufs filesystem in NetBSD and plan to discuss some
>of the options in a future email.

OUTSTANDING!!!!

I'm glad someone is looking at this.

The directory block size change was deliberate and was based on some
performance testing done by NeXT a long time ago.  There was some
discussion on the darwin development list several months ago.  Some
of the discussion comments suggested that the NeXT guys didn't
understand ffs very well, which is a pity.

For the lurkers:  if you want a fs type that can be shared today use
a MS-DOS FAT-16 partition.  It's UGLY, but it works.