Subject: Re: 8600/200 won't boot. revised
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2001 17:48:56
At 9:17 PM -0500 12/12/01, Michael Wolfson wrote:
>On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
>>  At 11:22 PM -0800 12/11/01, Michael Wolfson wrote:
>>  >So, can anyone on the list say with any confidence that setting the
>>  >load-base to 600000 is *necessary* to boot?  It's not necessarily
>>  >detrimental in all my tests, but it's definitely not required.  Granted, I
>>  >have no idea what OF 2.x systems do, but the default load-base on OF 1.0.5
>>  >and 3 have no problems with any of our boot methods.
>>
>>  I *think* I tried using 500000 to boot the floppy image on a OF 2 mac (PDQ).
>
>Would you mind trying a few boot methods on your OF 2 machine?  I just
>want some additional confidence that 'set-default load-base' is the
>command we want to be suggesting to users.

I should be doing work, but I had to cross boot between X and 9 anyway:

4 tests done.  All done with 1.5.2 release products.  Used System
Disk to get into OF so patches, etc. are what I got default from
that.  All done with load-base of 4000.  Tried both the default
real-base of -1 and F00000.  For the boot floppy image "boot fd2:0"
and for my MS-DOS boot floppy used "boot fd2:1,ofwboot.xcf netbsd"
(all lower case).

All booted to the install kernel prompt for Install/Shell/Halt.  No problem.

Now if I just knew how to do that with the CD-ROM.  Man those boot
floppies are slow if you're just doing it over and over again!  I'm
not really motivated to test the floppy in the other bay.

Oh, yes.  This is a PowerBook G3 series (PDQ).