Subject: Re: OF command editing keys
To: Derek Peschel <dpeschel@eskimo.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2001 02:34:16
--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 03:57:21PM -0800, Derek Peschel wrote:
> Here's my paraphrase of a very useful table from IEEE 1275.  Maybe you gu=
ys
> already knew about this, but I didn't.

Probably anyone whose played with OF a bit has run into much of
this. It'd be nice to maybe have this in the OF section of our FAQ.
(Hey, mw. ;^>)

> The standard speaks only in terms of keystrokes, not ASCII values.

::sigh::

And do ADB and USB devices send the same codes for these keystrokes?
Who knows...

> 	Extended (optional) keys:

Loosely, "emacs keys".

(There's a pretty obvious reason for that. Granted, it hampers me
since I use vi keys to edit my command lines, but I'd guess I'm in a
distinct minority. ;^>)

> 	Apple extensions:
> 	^@		same as ^space

Wait. ^space =3D=3D NULL? That boggles the mind...

> 	^?		doesn't do what the standard says

Probably because there's no difference between that and one of the
delete/backspace keys in the Apple hardware world. (That's purely
a guess.)

> Command and Option are ignored (so I guess there's no meta key) and there
> seems to be no "erase and save back to beginning of line" keystroke.
> Oh well... this feature is nice to have anyway.

Yeah, well, being as emacs wants to be its own operating system,
there's a limit to how much of it you want in your firmware anyhow.
;^>

Fwiw, *editing* in OF is significantly more friendly than in Sun's
OpenBoot (on which it's modeled). At least, to my memory of
OpenBoot. (I've got three sparcs sitting in pieces next to me, so
checking would be a several-hour reconstruction process, so feel
free to jump on me if I'm wrong.)

Too bad that's about all OF (as Apple has variously and incompatibly
implemented it) has going for it.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net