Subject: Small tutorial on dual-booting MacOS and NetBSD on iMac...
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Fleeger <fleeger@mrs.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/12/2001 11:35:52
I put together a little tutorial on a web page
(http://www.mrs.org/~fleeger/imac_netbsd) that describes the (sort of
kludgy) process I used to get NetBSD and MacOS to share the same hard
drive.  Some of the features of this configuration:

Everything boots from the (single) hard disk; no network boot, no CD
boot.

No specific need to enter the Open Firmware prompt (uses System Disk and
zapping PRAM to switch OSs (although I should be using yaboot, but I am
not really concerned about things being *that* smooth just yet...)  A
note about this part, does anyone have a program (or is there one
already?) that writes OF variables from within NetBSD/macppc?  I'd like
to make a script like the old "macos" program for LinuxPPC...

I've included screenshots, links to pertinent utils, and System Disk
documents for easy download.

I did all this because I had a very hard time getting NetBSD on my iMac
(mostly due to OF ignorance), and I was hoping to make it easier on the
next guy.  I've been following the mailing list off and on, but mostly
people say that the iMac needs to be booted from CD or network, so I
wanted to find a smoother way (until now I was netbooting from a Quadra
840AV).  If I am repeating something that's already been done and
wasting my and your time, let me know, but I hope this document is
helpful for someone.  Please e-mail me at fleeger@mrs.org if you like it
or hate it or if I've made a glaring mistake.  Thanks!

Matt