Subject: Re: headless ibook
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Gregory Smith <wolfy@treellama.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/2001 13:33:18
	It turns out that it was one of those adapters that go on the
modem port of G3/G4 machines that I read about, not a USB-serial adapter.
My next plan was this: build an NFS root that enabled telnetd, and netboot
it (by blindly typing boot enet into OF) but in the end that wasn't
necessary. When I turned on the machine to get the MAC address I noticed
that the bottom few lines of the screen were readable.
	I was able to partition the disk in macos by navigating with the
keyboard and dragging Drive Setup to the bottom of the screen (is there
any way to partition from inside netbsd? disklabel kept complaining about
a bad magic number / checksum, and wouldn't write the label). I then did a
manual install using the shell in the bottom rows of the screen.
	Not as exciting as a serial install but I'm happy with the new
usability of this screenless laptop. Much snappier than my DEC 3000 :-)

Gregory