Subject: PowerMac G3 unable to boot from HD
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Arenberg <jeff.arenberg@nuebasemi.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/2001 08:44:21
I have a 233Mhz Desktop G3 running Open Firmware 2.0f1.  I've run SystemDisk
and can get to the Open Firmware prompt.  I can boot from the floppy disk to
NetBSD fine and I've run the install from a CD to a local HD on ide0.  I can
run a shell from the floppy and mount the HD in BSD and all the files are
present.  I've run installboot to the HD.  What I can't do is get the
#$%^$#@ Mac to boot off the HD.  I've tried every combination device
combinations I can think of.  I'm about ready to give up.  HELP!

(note if there's a way to boot from the floppy and then tell BSD to reload
the kernal and run init from the HD without rebooting, or change the floppy
to mount the HD during init, I'd take either of those solutions as well).

Thanks,
Jeff