Subject: Re: 8600/200 won't boot. revised
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/10/2001 12:19:22
On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:

> At 9:40 AM -0800 12/10/01, you wrote:
>
> :)When netbooting, load-base has to be set to an INCORRECT value. Henry's
> :)suggestion of 500000 works, and I usually use 640000.
> :)
> :)Yes, this is weird.
>
> [sigh].  Time to add yet another exception to the installation notes.  Can
> you think of any explanation, or should I just have "because I said so".

I think it's because:

1) the net boot loader uses the "load-base" area as a scratch pad. It
loads packets to that address, and then deals with them.

2) the net boot loader is smart enough to look in the files to figure out
where they go; it doesn't need to be told from the environment.

Take care,

Bill