Subject: headless ibook
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Gregory Smith <wolfy@treellama.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/10/2001 09:41:50
	I have a rev. a ibook on which the screen has died (completely).
The machine's got a pretty good processor in it compared to what I
normally use (an old alpha), and I'd like to try to get NetBSD working on
it. Here are the problems:
1) no serial ports
2) how to force OF to serial console, and
3) how to force netbsd to serial console

	I read on this list a long time ago that someone was able to get a
serial console on a USB-only machine like this iBook using a USB-serial
adapter, so I may be able to get past 1 and 2, and I'm sure 3 is just a
matter of passing in the correct arguments to the kernel, or at very
worst, compiling one specially for serial console (which I could
cross-compile, yuck).
	Any experiences or useful information on this matter would be
appreciated, I'm hesitant to buy a serial adapter unless I have a good
chance of getting it working. Thanks

Gregory