Subject: OF command editing keys
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Derek Peschel <dpeschel@eskimo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/07/2001 15:57:21
Here's my paraphrase of a very useful table from IEEE 1275.  Maybe you guys
already knew about this, but I didn't.

The standard speaks only in terms of keystrokes, not ASCII values.

	Required keys:

	Backspace	delete back one character
	Delete		delete back one character
	^u		delete entire line
	Enter		send line to parser

	Extended (optional) keys:

	^b		move back one character
	^f		move forward one character

	ESC b		move back one word
	ESC f		move forward one word

	^a		move back to beginning of line
	^e		move forward to end of line

	^h		delete back one character
	Backspace	delete back one character
	Delete		delete back one character
	^d		delete forward one character

	ESC h		delete and save back to beginning of word
	^w		delete and save back to beginning of word
	ESC d		delete and save forward to end of word

	^k		delete and save forward to end of line
	^u		delete and save entire line

	^r		retype line

	^q		quote next character

	^y		insert saved characters before cursor

	^p		previous line in history

	^n		next line in history

	^l		display history

	^space		if word so far has a unique completion, complete it
			if word so far has several completions, fill in
			  as many characters as possible
			if word so far has no completions, erase characters
			  until there is at least one completion

	^/		show completions (maybe none) for word so far

	^?		show completions (maybe none) for word so far

	Apple extensions:

	^@		same as ^space
	^o		same as ^/
	^\		same as ^b
	^]		same as ^f
	^^		same as ^p
	^_		same as ^n

	^?		doesn't do what the standard says

The four arrow keys work.  The rest of the extended keys (function keys,
block of six editing keys) all act like ^o.  You can type ^i ^m ^[ instead
of Tab, Return, and Escape.

Command and Option are ignored (so I guess there's no meta key) and there
seems to be no "erase and save back to beginning of line" keystroke.
Oh well... this feature is nice to have anyway.

-- Derek