Subject: 8600/200 won't boot
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Thompson <m_thompson@ids.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/06/2001 08:46:43
I am new to Mac's and could use a little help.

I was given a 8600/200 without a hard drive and installed a 1GB Seagate
drive. I downloaded the NetBSD-macppc CDROM ISO image and made an install
CDROM. I don't have access to a Mac so I used rawrite to make a boot
diskette from the boot.fs file.

I connected my PC to the Mac's modem port, booted into Open Firmware,
booted from the floppy, and installed NetBSD on the hard drive. I set the
following in OpenFirmware:

input-device	kbd
output-device	/chaos/control
auto-boot?	false
boot-device	scsi-int/sd@0:0
boot-file	netbsd
load-base	600000
real-base	F00000

Printenv shows these settings.

It starts in OpenFirmware on the console. If I "boot scsi-int/sd@0:0" it
moves the cursor one space to the right and hangs.

I can boot from floppy and mount the hard drive file systems. I reinstalled
the boot block with installboot but that did not change anything.

The words in OpenFirmware sees "load" for the hard drive.

I downloaded the Disk_Tools_PPC.img.bin, SystemDisk2.3.1.smi.bin, and
System Disk 2.3.1 OF105 patch.hqx files. I uses Stuffit expander to make
Disk_Tools_PPC.img and SystemDisk2.3.1.smi files. I used Rawrite to make
floppies from these files. If I boot from the Disk_Tools_PPC.img diskette I
get a happy Mac for a second and then a diskette with a ? on it.

Where do I go from here?

I have several NetBSD systems so I can setup a boot server.

Michael Thompson
E-Mail: M_Thompson@IDS.net