Subject: Re: Install OF problems on 5500
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: BT OpenWorld <simon.troup@btinternet.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/05/2001 20:14:12
> :)I then hit "write" and reboot, or "write & reboot", and every time the
> :)system boots straight back into MacOS, whereas according to the literature
> :)is sounds like it ought to be booting into OF. This is the first place that
> :)experience deviates from the install manual.
>
> Did you also uncheck the 'auto-boot?' checkbox?  This is what tells the
> system to stop at the OF prompt.  Otherwise, it will start to boot your
> default OS (i.e. MacOS).

Ah yes, that'll be the oversight, hadn't unchecked auto-boot, I suggest the
manual should say "uncheck auto-boot" rather than "click on auto-boot", I
know I did it wrong now but presumed "click on" meant "check".

> Maybe, before you try a serial console, you should use BootVars to set:
> input-device: ttyb
> output-device: ttyb
> so that your printer serial port is what's used for Open Firmware console.

Thanks, I get straight to the OF prompt with ttyb !

Problem now is that I seem to get no response to the O >boot commands.

Is a successful boot pretty much instantaneous, I mean, do acknowledgements
start flying through the terminal straight away?

I've burned a couple CD's of the ISO using toast titanium 5.02, one as a
disc image (creates a hybrid ISO 9660) and another as ISO 9660 with pretty
much everything turned off (by dragging the contents of the disc image to a
folder and burning the contents of that folder to the top level of a new
disc).

Now, I know that my CD scsi ID is 3 (says scsi bus0 ID=3 in apple system
profiler), but when I do any of the following ...

O > dir scsi/sd@3:0,\
O > dir scsi-int/sd@3:0,\

... the system either hangs (no new line created in terminal, just blinks
after I hit return on same line) or once I got ...

0 > dir scsi/sd@3:0,\ RESETing SCSI bus

Similar story with O >boot commands ... just sits there doing nothing, which
suggests to me I'm either not addressing the CD properly (I don't get any CD
noises suggesting it's searching for the CD) or my CD burns are incorrect.

When I saw the OF prompt I thought I'd be home and dry, only to get stuck
here.

No idea if it's helpful, but here's my O > printenv report so far ...

little-endian?      false               false
real-mode?          false               false
auto-boot?          false               true
diag-switch?        false               false
fcode-debug?        false               false
oem-banner?         false               false
oem-logo?           false               false
use-nvramrc?        false               false
real-base           F00000              -1
real-size           100000              100000
virt-base           -1                  -1
virt-size           100000              100000
load-base           600000              4000
pci-probe-list      -1                  -1
screen-#columns     64                  64
screen-#rows        28                  28
selftest-#megs      0                   0
boot-device         /AAPL,ROM           /AAPL,ROM
boot-file
diag-device         fd:diags            fd:diags
diag-file
input-device        ttyb                ttya
output-device       ttyb                ttya
oem-banner
oem-logo
nvramrc
boot-command        boot                boot
 ok
0 >

Any further help and advice humbly accepted and seriously appreciated :)

Regards

Simon Troup