Subject: Re: Install OF problems on 5500
To: Simon Troup , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/05/2001 11:57:22
At 1:57 PM +0000 12/5/01, Simon Troup wrote:
>My system is noted as not being able to use system disk, so I downloaded
>BootVariables v1.3b and entered the following info as instucted:
>
>input-device: kbd
>output-device: /bandit/ATY,264GT-B
>
>I then hit "write" and reboot, or "write & reboot", and every time the
>system boots straight back into MacOS, whereas according to the literature
>is sounds like it ought to be booting into OF. This is the first place that
>experience deviates from the install manual.

You need to uncheck the autoboot option, or something like that.

>Next I have also tried booting into OF using "cmd-opt-O-F" and get confonted
>with a blank screen. I invested in a keyspan serial port adapter and hooked
>it up to my G4, plugged the other end into the modem port on the 5500. I get
>a connection between the machines (typing on one outputs on the other using
>MacOS ZTerm on both machines) then reboot the 5500 using "cmd-opt-O-F".
>Nothing much happens on the Zterm on the G4 (no 0 > prompt). I have setup
>zterm with 38400bps, 8 bits, no par, 1 stop, no handshake shake, kermit etc
>according to the manual but feel like I'm feeling around in the dark a
>little, is there any deeper detail on this, I've searched but to no avail.
>I've also tried sending breaks over the terminal but no luck there either.

This isn't working because you need to set the input and output-
devices as above.

Not it's not a catch 22, really!  If you can't find the right box to
check/uncheck then use boot variables to set the in/out devices,
write, and then reboot with the cmd-opt-O-F keys down and it should
work.