Subject: Re: German keyboard encoding
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/04/2001 07:34:10
At 0:13 Uhr +0100 4.12.2001, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>Hum, looks like there is no german keymap for this keyboard yet.
>Do you want to provice one ? :)

Talking about kbd mappings - installing the 1.5Y snapshot and the
corresponding xFree86 (sic!) 4.x tarballs on my Pismo, I quickly noticed
that the X server's German keymap support is severely broken in that it

(1)  maps the option key to Meta which leaves you without keys like
"~\|{}[]". Fix that, and you'll find that the resulting mapping is that of
a peecee keyboard.

(2)  randomly permutates the key mapping if you leave out the "nodead"
attribute (which you may want if ever you want to type accented chars).

When I looked at the xmodmap output it appeared oddly familiar. So, when I
ran into (2), I pulled the mac68k Xmodmap file I had made up some years ago
off my Quadra 700, and lo! it fitted in nicely. The Pismo's kbd layout is
that of a trustworthy Apple Extended Keyboard II, no less.

I had to hack the xdm startup scripts, though, to make sure the Xmodmap is
applied before the login screen gets displayed - with "nodead" set, the kbd
map is so badly messed up I cannot even log in.

The Xmodmap file has been somewhere in the mac68k contrib area on
ftp.netbsd.org for some years.

	hauke

-- Still, it would be nice if some knowledgeable person got around to fix
the X server.  ;)

--
/~\ The ASCII	                   "Those who are willing to sacrifice
\ / Ribbon Campaign                 essential liberties for a little order