Subject: Re: Booting
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/03/2001 10:10:54
On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> I've not been able to boot the 1.5.2 release CD on a 7500 directly.
> Is that just me?  (Also not on a PowerBook (PDQ), but that was iffy
> anyway.)
>
> I have been able to boot an MS-DOS floppy created by copying
> ofwboot.xcf and the install kernel to the floppy on a 7500 and a
> PowerBook (PDQ), but only by setting load-base to 500000 instead of
> the recommended 600000 in both cases.  I find this preferable to
> hunting up a way to create the official boot floppy under MacOS.

Did it matter that the address was 500000, or was it just that it was not
600000? I've found with netbooting, that 640000 works. Basically ANY
address other than the load address works. :-)

I think what happens is that the loader uses load-base as a scratch area,
and then copies the loaded file (ofwboot.xcf) to where it's supposed to
be.

Take care,

Bill