Subject: PLT and -current problems
To: port-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/26/2001 21:54:42
I'm seeing some strange things with the 1.5Y snapshot and -current on my
hotrodded G3.

The 1.5Y snapshot boots over ethernet and runs fine in a diskless setup
on my B&W G3 with the CPU upgraded to a G4.  The USB keyboard still
doesn't work unless I boot the system with the ADB and plug in the USB
after the system goes multi-user.  This is the same as I've seen with
every kernel since 1.5 though.  BTW, comparing log files this appears to
be a wscons configuration problem.  In the 1.4.3 kernel the keyboard gets
glued to the display by some callback code that is executed near the end
of the device configuration process.  In the 1.5+ kernels this never
happens during boot, but does happen when the USB is plugged in after the
system goes multi-user.  The callback code in the current version of
wscons is quite different and the hack in machdep.c that probably invoked
this doesn't exist anymore. It looks like the equivalent to the
wscons_glue code isn't executed or exist anymore and as a result the
keyboard and display don't get glued together anymore.

Anyway, this isn't the real problem I'm seeing.  While trying to test
some CDROM disk label code for someone I tried to install the cdparanoia
package.  It installed but when I try to run it I see a PLT error
attempting to reference getoption_long.  Thinking this was due to a
package seriously out of date I tried rebuilding the package.  Rebuilding
causes a kernel panic in nfs_socket at line 929 with the active process
being "update".  It was suggested that I try building a kernel with
NEWPMAP as this is more stable.  Unfortunately the kernel doesn't come up
on my system with or without NEWPMAP.  The sources were sup'ed yesterday.
The kernel was a plain GENERIC configuration.  It boots over ethernet but
when it gets loaded and ready to blank the console screen and display the
BSD banner, it seems to bomb and drops back into MacOS.  The 1.5Y
snapshot kernel boots and runs fine in the same setup.

Anyone have some ideas here?

Thanks,
-bob