Subject: Playing with OF on PDQ
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/19/2001 10:51:38
This is the oldest of the small-form-factor Powerbook G3's.  OF
2.0.x.  It's got the two media bays either of which could have a
floppy or battery.  The CD-ROM only fits into the right bay though.

The FAQ material says the way to install on this beast is to use the
boot floppy.  I suspect this would work, but just to be annoying I
want to do it from the 1.5.2 release CD-ROM.  I've had no luck
figuring out what the OF device path for the CD-ROM is though.

I have discovered that this beast wants you to do the 4-finger salute
*before* the boot chime starts or it won't go into OF.

I have discovered that there is no cd devalias.  The nvramrc provided
by MacOS defines ide0, ide1, and ide4 which are incomplete paths with
disk0 listed underneath them.  I think the *0 is the on-board disk
and the *1 and *4 point at the two media bays.  The factory devalias
includes two variations on atapi-disk which do not match actual
devices listed in the tree.

First question:  Does anyone actually know what the OF path to the CD-ROM is?

Second question:  Is the right media bay "Heathrow" or "Gatwick",
ide1 or ide4, atapi1 or atapi4, or media-bay or media-bay@d?  Take
your pick of distinguishing feature.  I just want to cut down on the
search space.

Third question:  If you do a c-o-O-F does that prevent nvramrc from
running, or just the boot command?  If nvramrc isn't running then
there is some initialization that could be important to making the
CD-ROM available.