Subject: Re: installation on a powerbook G4
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Latham <rob@terizla.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/19/2001 03:14:21
Makoto Fujiwara (makoto@ki.nu) said:

> As far as the messages in the mail, the problem seems to be in creating
> iso image.
>
> The command line I am using was
> mkisofs -part -hfs -r -J -l -o CDimage directory

I didn't use the -part flag, and i didn't burn another cd, so i can't
say if that's the difference or not.  I'll burn another cd one of these
days to find out for sure.

[snip: cd layout ]

> By the way, do you have HFS/HFS+ partition now ?
> If so, just put
>   netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz and ofwboot.xcf onto Macintosh HD
> and
> boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf   netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz

Thanks for yet another good tip.  It's the easy way out, but it worked :>

So the installation is taken care of, but now i can't type at the
keyboard.

When i boot into netbsd it of course tells me rc.conf isn't configured.
"Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: " is hard to respond to when
all keyboard events seem to be ignored :>  Even the funny "All versions
of NetBSD will power off your machine if you press the "brightness" keys
(F1 and F2)." doesn't do anything.

I know keyboards have been a problem on powerbook G4s in the past.  I'm
using the NetBSD-1.5Y (GENERIC) kernel

I could fall back to the 200108-era snapshot (1.5W ? ) if need be, but
i'm hoping there's some parameter i can pass or a trick i can play so
that i can avoid re-installing.

Thanks again for all the help so far.
==rob

--
Rob Latham: Allentown, PA USA
EAE8 DE90 85BB 526F 3181                   1FCF 51C4 B6CB 08CC 0897