Subject: Re: powermac ofw boot
To: NetBSD-ppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/2001 18:59:36
In message <8a.f8b4d61.2927bb56@aol.com>,
PaulMac2@aol.com wrote:

>The install notes were right when they said that the
>most frustrating part is dealing with the OFW!

OF 1.05 is the simplest case :-)

>I have a PowerMac 7300, OFW 1.05, on which I am trying
>to install NetBSD 1.5.1.  I have managed to bring up OFW
>on /chaos/control, but none of the boot methods listed in the
>INSTALL document seemed to work for me --
>enet - CLAIM error
>fd - READ TIMEOUT
>scsi-int/sd@3:0 (NetBSD Mission CD) - CANT OPEN

Did you patch and use the System Disk (or whatever it's called, can't
remeber) utility ? On those clas of machines, it's mandatory !

>Should I give up on the enet and CD boot methods, and see if
>making another floppy does the trick?  What have other people
>done to get an initial install to work on this hardware?

Floppy woprk very well, if you don't succed with the CD.

Oh, BTW, for those who think that it's hard to install NetBSD, and the
doc is helpless (which is not true) just try Debian Linux on a
non-floppy Macintosh. Awful !

God bless sysinst :-)

--
Xavier HUMBERT  -  Systemes et Reseaux     |     labo-info@injep.fr