Subject: Re: headless Performa and NetBSD
To: Jeff Hergan <jeff@praeclara.com>
From: IvanK. <chepati@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/13/2001 01:22:44
Jeff,

you just stumbled onto the same issue I had when installing 1.5.2 on a
Performa6400.  Perhaps here's a good place to speculate that you shouldn't
have any problems running NetBSD on the 6360, since it's very similar to the
6400.

Now back to the unreachable nameserver/gateway thing.

Back when I used to do 1.5 and 1.5.1 ftp installs, as long as my cabling was
done properly, I had absolutely no problem doing an ftp install.  This all
changed in 1.5.2, sadly.  I remember spending an entire night, I kid you not,
cursing at things when my linux box containing the installation files could
ping my performa6400, but the installer kept complaining about being unable
to ping the nameserver and/or the gateway.  I use the performa as a gateway,
so I've installed two PCI NICs - one cheap NE2000, ne0, and a Tulip based
Asante, tlp0.  On a side note,  the installer sees the tulip card as a tlp0,
but once booted, the os reports it as a de0.  Just be aware if that interface
doesn't work later.  Just move /etc/ifconfig.tlp0 to /etc/ifconfig.de0.

My mac was hooked to the linux-running laptop via a serial cable,
8pin-to-25pin, a null modem, a gender changer, and a 25pn-to-9pin converter.
This is how I controlled the computer.  Then I had the tlp0 connected to a
hub, to which the laptop was also hooked.  Both were on the same subnet so
things should have been as simple as abc, but they weren't.  I then hooked
ne0 to the hub and tried the install over that interface.  Same failure.
Then I tried setting the nameserver and the gateway to the IP of the mac
itself, hoping that it should be able to ping itself and then get to the
point where I can tell it where the installation media was.  That didn't help
either.  I tried leaving the nameserver and gateway fields empty.  No luck.
Then I backed off a few stages in the installer to the initial screen with
the option to configure the network.  Tried doing it from there.  No help.
Tried dropping to a shell and manually doing the ifconfig, route thing.  I
think I screwed up the route syntax (sorry, but my roots are in linux), so
that didn't do the trick.

After hours of extremely excruciating failures of what used to be a simple
routine, I may have tried using a crossover cable to directly connect the two
machines.  I don't remember anything other than cursing the blasted thing.

Eventually, the thing gave up and just worked.  It might have had something
to do with the shaman I hired to do the "install-NetBSD" dance.  I may never
know, for I was too relieved and anxious to finish the install before the
thing started acting up again.

Sorry I couldn't offer you more help in what must be trying times for you,
but when I saw your post, I felt like pouring out my own frustration.

Anyway, do try any of the things I did and I sincerely hope you hit the magic
sequence.  Don't be discouraged, the magic is there, it's just darned tough
to guess.

IvanK.
(chepati)